Sunday, April 27, 2014

Boxers and Saints


Boxers & Saints are two graphic novels created by Gene Luen Yang.  While I defend the benefits of graphic novels, I am not very well-versed with the nuances of the genre.  It did not take long before the flow of the storyline and images became familiar and I found both books to be beautifully drawn and hauntingly written.  It was fascinating to watch the story unfold from the two opposing perspectives, both so convinced of the right path.  With the addition of mystical elements, the story remains relatively true to the historical timeframe - down to the disheartening conclusion.  While I liked Boxers more than I liked Saints, I would recommend the pair to students as well as to teachers for incorporation into the Social Studies curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment